Ear Hustle

Police Released Video Of Killed Newlywed Firefighter

In an unfortunate incident back in December 2013, a Kansas City Firefighter was shot by a Kansas City Police Officer in a scuffle.  As the case unfolded and according to the story reported by the NY Daily News, Anthony Bruno, a six-year veteran of the KCFD had been celebrating his wedding and was quite inebriated.  He took a taxi where a dispute had ensued and an assault had taken place on the cab driver by Bruno.  The video of the scuffle has been finally released by the Kansas City, MO Police


Read the original story reported December 2013 here:

Kansas City, Mo., firefighter shot and killed by off-duty cop just hours after wedding

Anthony Bruno, a six-year veteran of the KCFD, was shot to death early Sunday during a violent confrontation with an off-duty police officer. The tragic incident allegedly began after Bruno was involved in an assault on a cab driver.


MONDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2013, 2:22 PM
Newly-married Kansas City firefighter Anthony V. Bruno is dead,after an off-duty officer-involved shooting in downtown Kansas City on Dec. 1, 2013.

Kansas City, Mo., firefighter Anthony Bruno was shot to death by an off-duty police officer early Sunday.

A Kansas City firefighter’s wedding celebration ended in tragedy early Sunday when he allegedly attacked an off-duty cop and was shot to death, authorities said.

Anthony Bruno, a six-year veteran of the KCFD’s Station 17 in Missouri, was shot in the chest by an unidentified officer at about 2:30 a.m. after the two got into a violent scuffle following an alleged attack on a cab driver, authorities said.

He was pronounced dead later at a local hospital.

KCFD Chief Paul Berardi confirmed Bruno’s tragic death in a statement on Sunday afternoon, calling Bruno “a courageous and dedicated” third-generation firefighter.

Bruno, who was in his 20s, served with the fire department since 2008, Berardi said.

According to local reports, Bruno was out celebrating his wedding with family and friends in the hours before he was killed.

Police said the officer was off-duty but in uniform at about 2:30 a.m. when he heard a call come over his radio about someone assaulting a cab driver.

The officer encountered Bruno in the area of 12th and Wyandotte Streets, but the Bruno took off, sparking a foot chase, local FOX 2 reported.

The cop caught up to him around a block later, but Bruno struggled and ended up on top of the officer, punching him in the head and face, the station reported.

The officer pulled his weapon and fired two shots, hitting Bruno in the chest, police sources told the station.

Police say Bruno and the officer got in a scuffle after an alleged assault on a cab driver in downtown Kansas City at about 2:30 a.m. Fire officials say Bruno was married just hours earlier.


Police say Bruno and the officer got in a scuffle after an alleged assault on a cab driver in downtown Kansas City at about 2:30 a.m. Fire officials say Bruno was married just hours earlier.

The cop eventually passed out and was still unconscious when backup arrived, the station reported.

He was taken to a hospital with serious though unspecified injuries, the Kansas City Star reported.

Police are still investigating the incident.

Fire Department spokesman James Garrett said Chief Berardi was with Bruno’s family in the aftermath of the shooting.

“Our heart goes out to the brand new wife and family,” Garrett said.

According to the Star, Bruno’s father was a retired deputy fire chief.

He is also survived by his mother, two sisters and wife.

With News Wire Services


An earlier version of this story said Bruno was married on Saturday night. Family members said he and his new bride were celebrating their wedding Saturday night, but authorities haven’t confirmed when the wedding took place.

This is a very unfortunate situation and I am not sure how I would have handled this situation if I were in the police officer’s shoes.  It was clearly a self-defense shooting and the fact that Bruno was drunk does not discount the fact that he was out of control.  Prayers are going up for both families of this terrible tragedy.

Source: NY Daily News

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

To Top