International News

Man In India Is Sucked To His Death By The Magnetic Force Of An MRI Machine

How in the world does a hospital staffer not know that metal object are not allowed in the room with an MRI machine?  A hospital staffer in India allowed  a man who was holding an oxygen tank for a relative into the room with the metal tank.

The magnetic force of the machine pulled the man in and he became trapped in the machine which was reportedly turned on prior to him entering into the room .

Read more as reported by the NY Post:

Photo Credit: Facebook

A 32-year-old man has died at a hospital in India after being sucked into an MRI chamber, according to reports.

The man, identified by local media as Rajesh Maruti Maru, had escorted his sister’s elderly mother-in-law to Mumbai’s BYL Nair Municipal Hospital when he suddenly got trapped in the machine while holding an oxygen tank, the Indian Express reported.

“Magnetic force of the machine sucked him in. We are not sure how he went so close. An inquiry is on,” Dr. Ramesh Bharmal told the news outlet.

Staffers, according to the report, claimed that the knob on the oxygen tank broke open when Maru was sucked into the chamber Saturday, causing the tank to leak.

Maru’s family says the man was holding the oxygen tank for his sister’s mother-in-law, who was scheduled to undergo an MRI scan — and a staffer had asked Maru to take the tank inside the MRI room, NDTV reported.

The family claims the staffer said the machine was switched off, but it was actually turned on. During an MRI exam, it is crucial that all metallic items are removed before entering the exam room.

“As soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on,” Maru’s relative, Harish Solanki, told NDTV.

Maru’s hand got stuck in the machine along with the oxygen tank.

Solanki and hospital staffers rushed to pull Maru’s bleeding body out of the machine before he was rushed to an emergency ward, where he died 10 minutes later, according to reports.

Solanki blamed hospital staffers for Maru’s death.

“It’s because of their carelessness that Rajesh died,” he said.

A postmortem indicated that Maru died as a result of pneumothorax, or a collapsed lung.

Police said hospital employees, including a doctor, Siddhant Shah, and Vitthal Chavan, the staffer who allowed Maru to enter the MRI room with the oxygen tank, have been arrested.

Source: NY Post

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

To Top