The number of children who overheated and died inside cars increased across the country last year, and Texas had the highest number of cases.
Now a boy from McKinney has invented what he hopes is a life-saving tool that every parent could use.
Bishop Curry V says he was inspired to create a device he calls “Oasis” after a baby died in a hot minivan last summer outside a home in Melissa.
The home is near the Curry family’s home in McKinney.
“I knew exactly where the house was,” said Bishop Curry IV, the 10-year-old’s father.
The tragedy hit close to home for the Curry family because they have a 1-year-old girl of their own.
“Sometimes babies fall asleep and they’re really quiet, so if you’re rushing home from work or you’re rushing to the grocery store, I could see how somebody could forget,” said Curry IV, who is an engineer for Toyota in Plano.
Thirty-nine children died of heat stroke in hot car incidents last year, seven in Texas, according to a San Jose State University meteorologist who tracks the data.
Curry V’s device is currently in the design phase. It would attach to a car seat, detect if a child is left inside the vehicle and then blow cool air until parents and authorities are notified.
“It would be a dream to have lots of inventions that would save many lives,” Curry V said.
The fifth grader already has a provisional patent on the “Oasis.” And Toyota has already taken notice of the invention.
The Currys recently travelled to Michigan to introduce the idea at an auto safety conference.
Source: NBC Chicago