A down-on-their-luck couple from Ohio struggling with chronic conditions that left them unable to make a living were found dead from self-inflicted carbon monoxide poisoning this week, less than two months after their desperate pleas for help went ignored.
Randy and Jodi Speidel, from Bellefontaine, created online fundraisers on GiveFroward.com and GoFundMe.com in late February begging Good Samaritans for financial help.
Mrs Speidel wrote that they had been living without gas all winter, had no running water and were close to having their electricity and Internet service shut off.
After having paid $500 to their landlord to prevent their immediate eviction, Mrs Speidel stated that they were left with only $33 to their name.
To stretch their meager funds a little farther, the impoverished, ailing couple were forced to limit their food intake to a single meal a day and did not have enough scraps to feed their two cats.