50 Year Old Man Develops Hepatitis C After Drinking An Excessive Amount Of Energy Drinks


Photo Credit: Google

A 50-year-old healthy man developed hepatitis from drinking an excessive amount of energy drinks.

According to a report published by BMJ Case Reports, an unidentified construction worker was admitted to the emergency room with flu like symptoms.

He also had dark color urine and both his eyes and skin showed a yellow tint, which are both signs of hepatitis.

Laboratory testing revealed that the patient had chronic hepatitis C or an HCV infection. A full biopsy showed the man had non-specific liver damage, which means it was caused by drugs or toxins, according to the report.

The report said “the patient’s high levels of serum folate and vitamin B12 were also consistent with supplemental intake, likely from energy drink usage as he denied any alternative supplementation.”

The man admitted to drinking an excessive amount of energy drinks to keep him alert during his long and laborious hours on construction sites.

Energy drinks contain vitamin B3 also known as niacin, which has been attributed to damaging his liver. Niacin is the only ingredient in the drinks that could cause hepatotoxicity or liver damage.

Though this occurrence is extremely rare, its not the first instance of energy drinks causing hepatitis. In 2011, a 22-year-old woman developed it from drinking 10 cans of energy drinks, daily for two weeks, WXIN reports.

Source: WGN News

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: 50 Year Old Man Develops Hepatitis C After Drinking An Excessive

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

To Top