It all came down to our fab final three celebs, foxtrotting their way to the finish line for the Dancing With the Stars mirrorball trophy.
And who wound up with bragging rights as Season 19 winner?
Was it season-long frontrunner Alfonso Riberio and pro partner Witney Carson, who scored perfect 10s from the judges on Monday’s finals? They came into the Tuesday finale with a high score of 80.
Or did Duck Dynasty teen Sadie Robertson and pro partner Mark Ballas, who had a 78 to start the night and were known as #TeamQuackAttack, surge ahead for the win?
Or did Pretty Little Liars star Janel Parrish and partner Val Chmerkovskiy, at the bottom of the trio with a 77, pull off a come-from-behind victory?
Here’s how the two-hour finale played out:
• Bethany Mota and her partner, Derek Hough, performed an encore of their futuristic freestyle from Monday night by popular demand (Twitter vote).
• There were endless clips looking back through the season. And we got to see outtakes from dress rehearsals with crazy lines from hosts Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews. The two seemed to be in high spirits Tuesday night.
• Nick Jonas performed his song Jealous. Fans, who didn’t seem to be the usual DWTS crowd, lined the stage taking selfies and swooning. Sort of.
• Eliminated stars returned to dance their favorite routines one more time, including Alfonso and Witney doing The Carlton for a few seconds, Betsey Johnson doing her splits and Michael Waltrip falling down on the floor. Was it part of the dance?
• Jennifer Hudson rocked the ballroom with Go All Night.
• Bruno Tonioli’s 59th birthday was celebrated.
• Meghan Trainor performed a medley of her hits.
The three finalists danced one more time, a fusion dance which melded two dances into one.
Sadie said before her final dance, “To take home that mirrorball would just mean so much to me.” She and Mark did a cute samba/quickstep to Nitty Gritty by Kimberly Cole. “We love you,” said Julianne Hough. Bruno praised Mark for making Sadie look like a “princess.” Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 = 40 Total: 118
Janel and Val danced a foxtrot/paso doble fusion that was aggressive and passionate. Julianne said it was “seamless.” Bruno loved the “drama. … You two together are absolutely amazing.” Carrie Ann said it was a “perfect showcase” for them. “It’s bittersweet,” said Janel of her last dance. Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 = 40 Total: 117
Alfonso and Witney closed out the night. “Ten years ago I wanted to be here,” said Alfonso. And I’ve wanted to be here every year in between.” His cha cha/ Argentine tango with Witney sizzled. Bruno raved. Carrie Ann said Alfonso is “a glitter ball.” Len said he is a natural. Julianne said it was “so on.” Alfonso also announced he’s joining the upcoming Dancing With the Stars live tour. Scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 = 40 Total: 120
“I am so excited!’ said Alfonso.
And in the end, the third place spot went to: Janel. “You were my trophy the entire season,” she said to Val.
The runner-up: Sadie Robertson. “I just want to say I’m so thankful to God who has brought me so far in this competition.”
And the champ for Season 19 is …
“I cannot believe this! I’ve wanted this forever!” said Alfonso, tears running down his face.
Source: USA Today