Laquan McDonald, 17, was shot 16 times by a Chicago police officer in October 2014. The police shooting video is graphic. Viewer discretion is advised.
A judge ordered the city to release that disturbing video by Wednesday. However, sources leaked a shorter version, which was authenticated by a second source, to ABC7 Chicago Eyewitness News on Tuesday morning, prompting Chicago police to move up the scheduled release. In light of public safety, ABC7 Chicago Eyewitness News did not air the video until it was officially released and opted only to show part of it; the video stops after the first shots are fired and before the teenager falls.
The video obtained early was not edited, but the audio was removed because its source was unclear and Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez said there was no audio on the official clip.
McDonald’s family did not want the video released, but a freelance journalist filed a Freedom of Information Act request. The family released a statement, “This is a difficult time for us. As we have said in the past, while we would prefer that the video not be released we understand that a court has ordered otherwise. . . ”
Concerned the release of such a video could lead to civil unrest, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel met with community activists and ministers earlier this week. They are all calling for calm, as is McDonald’s family.
“We ask for calm in Chicago. No one understands the anger more than us but if you choose to speak out, we urge you to be peaceful. Don’t resort to violence in Laquan’s name. Let his legacy be better than that,” McDonald’s family said.
“Will we use this episode and this moment to build bridges that bring us together as a city or will we allow it to become a way that erects barriers that tear us apart as a city?” Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said.
Video Provided by Chicago Police
News Source: ABC News